This rental policy is established to enable Mill Race Center the opportunity to offer the facilities primarily as a community service when the building is not in use by Mill Race Center events or activities. Rental fees are established to cover the cost of utilities, custodial service and to defray costs of general upkeep and maintenance.
- Organizations and individuals are eligible to use the facilities for meetings, parties, etc. after having made proper advance reservation and agreeing to the restrictions and fee schedule.
- Alcoholic beverages may be served during private rentals with the following conditions: Any plan to serve alcoholic beverages must be noted on the rental agreement and must receive approval prior to the event of the Director of Operations. State law requires in order to sell or serve alcoholic beverages, a licensed caterer with a three way liquor license must serve the liquor. Therefore, a caterer will be required and must be approved by the Director of Operations of Mill Race Center. In order to be approved, the caterer will be required to show proof that it has liquor liability insurance in an amount not less than $500,000 and umbrella of not less than $1,000,000 to protect not only the caterer but also Mill Race Center and the City of Columbus. In addition, the caterer may be required to sign an indemnification agreement, together with a hold harmless clause for any negligence on the part of the caterer, or the person or persons leasing the Mill Race Center of any negligence in the illegal or negligent serving of alcoholic beverages which produce injuries to another. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Food caterers must also show proof that they carry a minimum of $1 million liability insurance.
- Money-raising projects or meetings with an admission charge will be allowed only with the approval of the Director of Operations or Board of Directors.
- Each rental agreement shall be on a short term basis only; no long term rental usage commitments that may interfere with scheduling for Mill Race Center activities will be allowed.
Price and Room Capacity
Rentals include the following rooms: Multi-purpose room 1, 2 and 3, lounge, bathrooms and patio. The lounge is to serve as the 21 and over bar if alcohol is being served.
- Rental charge is $1400 and is for 8 hours.
- Seating capacity: 350 theatre style; 200-225 banquet (depending on desired set up); round tables, 6’ rectangular tables, square tables and chairs available.
- Lounge capacity is 20.
- Additional hours needed beyond the 8 hour rental block will be a $150 hour charge. This would include rental on Friday after 5:00pm for set-up or decorating. (if time is available)
- Rentals must provide their own security if serving alcohol. No Exceptions.
- Indiana Sales Tax will be collected on all rentals. (If you are exempt from collection of Indiana Sales Tax you must provide a completed exemption certificate to us for our records at the time of the rental).
- Rental fee includes set up, take down and use of patio if desired. Chairs and tables are included in the fee. Linens are not provided.
- If changes are to be made to the stage area or standard furniture placement, there will be an additional charge.
- Kitchen fee is $125. All events utilizing the kitchen area require a kitchen fee. (see attached)
- Use of A/V equipment is an additional fee of $25/hour. (MRC staff member present.)
- Any food served must be catered, including dishes, flatware, and glasses. The coffee machine, dishes, flatware, glasses, dish towels, serving utensils, silverware, etc. are not available for rent and may not be used. However, use of the kitchen for smaller group functions may be possible with the approval of the Director of Operations and with appropriate orientation to kitchen equipment.
- Room deposit and damage deposit is required for reservation to be made. Total payment for full day/full multipurpose rentals must be made by the first day of the month two months prior to the rental. For example, if the rental is in December, it must be paid in full by October 1st. If the total payment is not received by this time rental may be cancelled. Partial day, partial space rentals must be paid in full by the first day of the month of the rental. For example, if the rental is in December, it must be paid in full by December 1st.
- Damages: If there are any damages a cost will be assessed and deducted from the damage deposit.
- Cancellation: In the event of cancellation, a partial refund of the Room deposit will be in accordance to the following schedule:
- Cancellation two months or more in advance of rental – 50% refund of Room deposit (full return of Damage deposit)
- Cancellation more than one month but less than two months – 25% refund of Room deposit (full return of Damage deposit)
- Less than 30 days prior to rental – NO REFUND of Room deposit (full return of Damage deposit.
- Mill Race Center welcomes tours through the center by interested groups, and no charge will be made for such tours.
- Responsibility for supervision of children rests with the rental party.
- If any individual attending any event becomes unruly, they will be asked to leave.
- Candles are permitted only if under a hurricane type globe – no open flames allowed. This is per the Fire Marshal.
- All decorations (flowers, balloons, etc.) must be removed by renter.
- Waterproof mat required for all bar/drink set ups (provided by the caterer).
- Mill Race Center is non-smoking (including the patio area).
- No liquids to be disposed of in trash cans.
- Security is required, at renter’s expense, when serving alcohol.
**In case of emergency the day of your rental, contact the Manager on Duty (MOD) at: 812-343-0160.
Mill Race Center Kitchen Rules and Procedures
- Caterer will prepare dishes at a location other than Mill Race Center. Caterer may use the kitchen to do the final preparation of dishes that were substantially prepared off premises.
- Caterer may use the kitchen to plate entrees and side dishes.
- Caterer may use the refrigerator for keeping foods cool prior to serving.
- Waster must be dumped into sturdy plastic bags, securely tied and deposited within the waste receptacle behind the building. (see facility staff for access).
- Sinks are not to be sued for rinsing dishes or disposing of food waste.
- Leftover food is to be removed from the premises immediately following the event. No food is to be left in refrigerator or elsewhere in the kitchen.
- Caterer is to leave the kitchen as clean as it was found. If the kitchen is left in an unsatisfactory condition, a clean-up fee of $50.00 will be assessed and the caterer will be placed on probation. A second violation will result in being prohibited from catering at Mill Race Center for one year from the date of the second violation. A Mill Race Center staff member must inspect the kitchen prior to the caterer’s departure and will inform caterer of any irregularities that would trigger the cleaning.
- A waterproof mat must be used under any, and all bar areas, or areas where leakage may occur. Only leak-proof containers or coolers may be used, and all containers holding liquid or ice must be placed on a waterproof mat. The caterer is responsible for the cost of repairing and damage done to the floors due to leakage.
- The kitchen is to be left as it is found. Wipe out sinks, wipe counters and tables clean, remove remaining bottles, cans, kegs, etc. from the site. Floors in the kitchen are to be left clean. Any necessary clean-up by Mill Race Center staff will be charged and withheld from the deposit.
Revised December 22, 2017